Friday, October 23, 2009

Pisa: Il Torre Pendiente





Of course, one of the main reasons to come to Italy is to go to the leaning tower of Pisa. But why do we come here? and why does it lean? Questions for the ages, my friends.

After Rome, we went to the seaside just outside Pisa and had some serious rest. By this time Jasper and Rory were better but I was hacking. Marina de Pisa is a very quiet spot and a good place to rest and enjoy the sun and blue sea. The air was a little cool for swimming but the water was warm (per report from my family).

When we arrived in Pisa, Rory's first comment was 'I thought it was really going to be leaning, I mean it's barely even leaning at all.'
She soon changed her tune when we climbed the tiny leaning staircase to the platform. She was in full panic mode when we stepped out onto the leaning platform.
I was very impressed with the architecture. The buildings are quite beautiful and decorated with small statues and carvings.
Pisa was a major naval power, involved in many crusades and wars with the Saracens, until it's defeat by Genoa and the silting of its harbor in the late 12th century.




1 comment:

  1. what a great way to spend a sunday morning! as the latest comer to the blog, I've had a crash course on ancient history, and the whereabouts and goings-on of the adventurous Krehbiel North family. what a fantastic trip and most excellent blog!!! Happy Trails.

    Ciao,

    Linda & Mark

    ReplyDelete